Can I have an exotic bird at home? If you have ever wondered this, you should know that in Spain there is very strict legislation to control the possession of exotic animals . So it could be said that you can have it … But not all and always with a very exhaustive control.
And there is no doubt that the best habitat for exotic birds is their own. Spanish legislation treats the possession of exotic species as pets in different regulations.
- Regulation (CE) 338/97 : According to this regulation, the species that appear in appendices I and II of CITES (Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora) need an import and export permit granted by CITES itself to to be able to bring an exotic animal to Europe.
- Regulation (CE) 318/2007 : This regulation establishes the prohibition of legalizing and introducing wild birds in the national territory. It seeks to prevent birds from being captured in their natural environment. In addition, it establishes that when buying a bird legally they must give you a health permit and identification.
- Current legislation : According to current Spanish legislation, those who do not comply with the provisions of international conventions, CITES and Spanish laws regarding exotic animals can be sentenced to jail for 4 months and up to 2 years.
Do you want to have an exotic bird at home?
And you will say: “But you have said that you cannot have exotic birds at home!” No, really up to now we have talked to you about the legislation that regulates its possession in Spain. But that the legislation is so strict does not mean that you cannot have an exotic bird at home. What it means is that you cannot have just any type of exotic bird at home. Would you like to know some of the ones you can have at home?
- Mandarin diamond : This little parrot barely exceeds 12 centimeters. Its beak and legs are red and its feathers are light. They are one of the best known exotic birds.
- Cockatoo : Any of its types is allowed. You can find them in many colors and they can live up to 30 years. Also, they are very smart and you can teach them to speak.
- Agapornis : One of the best known parrots. It is much better that they live as a couple and they are easily tame. Its bright coloring is not one of its great attractions.
- Parakeets : One of the most common in homes. His song does not leave anyone indifferent, it will certainly brighten your day.
- Parrots : The best known exotic bird of all and one of the most common to have as a pet. It is the exotic animal that can be kept as a longest-lived pet, up to 80 years.
What should I know if I want to have one?
Is the exotic bird that you want to have among those that we have suggested? If so now you will have to take into account something else . And, although some of them may be easier to take care of, that does not mean that they do not need special care.
First lesson. Say no to small cages. Exotic birds need a lot of space to be able to move freely inside their cages, so the bigger the better. Otherwise they can develop anxiety and stress disorders that will harm their health.
But not everything is a good cage. You should be aware that if you opt for an exotic bird as a pet, you will also have to let it out for at least a couple of hours a day. And close doors and windows before opening it!
Remember, you can have an exotic bird at home, but as long as it is a species that the law allows. They are not a toy.